13th MEU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Share this page:
Latest topics
» Last Post wins V3
Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm by DayTex

» Nice how things?
Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm by bebris

» CLB 13th MEU
Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am by thebronxbomber

» Last Post Wins
Advice on my desktop PC. EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am by mekline

» Who plans on getting bf4?
Advice on my desktop PC. EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am by SuperShocky

» It has been a while hasen't it?
Advice on my desktop PC. EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am by Dutch5n1p3r

» Hi all how are we doing
Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm by UnlitAssassin

» League of Legends
Advice on my desktop PC. EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm by EMISS

» Announcement: Fighting 13th
Advice on my desktop PC. EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm by Toryin

Servers
Sponsored Link
Unit Rosters

Share | 

Advice on my desktop PC.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dreamon988
Corporal
Corporal

Advice on my desktop PC. Empty
PostSubject: Advice on my desktop PC.   Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyThu May 31, 2012 11:04 pm

I don't often use my desktop computer but when I do it is to print a file or other tasks like such. I was wondering if anyone has experience with dealing with computers? I got these computer almost a year ago now and it worked perfectly at the start but now the computer requires a much longer time to run tasks and sometimes does not preform them. As I log into the computer multiple pop ups that keep coming over and over saying my computer is at risk, do this scan, try this antivirus and so forth appear. So I assume my computer is filled with viruses. What I need help with is advise on who to deal with them and remove them. I was wondering if anyone knew any videos that teach you how to prevent being hacked or getting unwanted viruses. Also tutorials on advance computer skills like how to prevent hackers, trace them or other important advance skills.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Trister
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Trister

PostSubject: Re: Advice on my desktop PC.   Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyThu May 31, 2012 11:15 pm

Virus!

You can try Malwarebytes, it's free and pretty good, we use it at work. Just make sure you are in safe mode. (F8 while booting).

Also if you can, if you have another account on that PC, log into it and see if happens, it may be a virus that is related to that account. In which case save everything and recreate it.
Back to top Go down
Trister
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Trister

PostSubject: Re: Advice on my desktop PC.   Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyThu May 31, 2012 11:15 pm

Virus!

You can try Malwarebytes, it's free and pretty good, we use it at work. Just make sure you are in safe mode. (F8 while booting).

Also if you can, if you have another account on that PC, log into it and see if happens, it may be a virus that is related to that account. In which case save everything and recreate it.
Back to top Go down
Dreamon988
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Advice on my desktop PC.   Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyThu May 31, 2012 11:19 pm

I will try that tomorrow, thanks.
Back to top Go down
sryan
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
sryan

PostSubject: Re: Advice on my desktop PC.   Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 10:04 am

actual virus infections are usually silent, they try to steal your details without provoking your attention. You should be careful with this. Things like Trojans and worms usually hide themselves in or as useful programs, only to clutter your hardware severly hampering perfomance of the pc, you could be suffering from something like this. Adware or malware is what actually causes some of you problems, they like to trick you into thinking you've been infected with something with popups and whatnot so they can sell you an ( often faulty ) product or get away with your credit card info.

There aren't as many skills that would prevent such infections from happening, other then being carefully with what you download from the web, and utilizing proper software to protect other lanes from attack.

Presuming you are on a windows operating system, I would suggest that you would atleast download and use the anti virus made by microsoft. It's pretty functional and good and best of all, it's free of charge.

you can download windows defender here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17
Back to top Go down
Endrane
Major
Major
Endrane

PostSubject: Re: Advice on my desktop PC.   Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Another very common cause for degrading performance is hard drive fragmentation. As you delete files and download others, the data for things such as programs and large files are fragmented across the hard drive space as they fill in the holes left by deleted data/temporary files and save elsewhere. This decreases the computer's performance as it requires the hard drive to do more work by having to locate data on different parts on the hard drive, rather than in one continuous string like it should be.

Windows comes with a defragmenting tool, but other programs such as Defraggler are known to get the job done a lot better. It takes a while to defragment though, so most people leave it running overnight while they're sleeping. You can find the Windows tool in Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter or Defraggler at this link.
Back to top Go down
Dreamon988
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Advice on my desktop PC.   Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 5:51 pm

I will try your suggestions, thanks.
Back to top Go down
gatecrasher
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
gatecrasher

PostSubject: Re: Advice on my desktop PC.   Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:18 pm

if you want if your computer can boot up i can connect to it remotely and fix it while you sleep or you can watch but if it dont boot properly and has loads of pages pop up it usually time to re-install the operating system as it too badly infected.

if you want to remote fix download and install teamviewer 7 on it and pm me when you want to start
Back to top Go down
thebronxbomber
Colonel
Colonel
thebronxbomber

PostSubject: Re: Advice on my desktop PC.   Advice on my desktop PC. EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Sounds like spyware and adware (forms of malware). You could also have a virus. Your hard drive might be badly fragmented--in which case you should defragment regularly. If you have Vista/7 it should do that automatically or you can check to see if it does. (Side note: Do not do this if you have a Solid State Drive)

The average computer user can prevent 95-99% of of being hacked or fraud or being infected by practicing a few easy preventive maintenance steps such as a having different strong passwords (passwords with at least 8 characters, lower and uppercase letters and at least 1 symbol in between the 2nd and 6th character slots), keeping up to date virus signatures (assuming you have AV software), keeping windows security patches up to date, and not falling for common phishing/social engineering techniques through email or over the phone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.13thmeu.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on my desktop PC.   Advice on my desktop PC. Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on my desktop PC.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top