13th MEU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Share this page:
Latest topics
» Last Post wins V3
Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm by DayTex

» Nice how things?
Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm by bebris

» CLB 13th MEU
Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am by thebronxbomber

» Last Post Wins
Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am by mekline

» Who plans on getting bf4?
Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am by SuperShocky

» It has been a while hasen't it?
Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am by Dutch5n1p3r

» Hi all how are we doing
Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm by UnlitAssassin

» League of Legends
Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm by EMISS

» Announcement: Fighting 13th
Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm by Toryin

Servers
Sponsored Link
Unit Rosters

Share | 

Laptop question ( presumably memory related )

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sryan
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
sryan

Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  Empty
PostSubject: Laptop question ( presumably memory related )    Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 3:13 pm

hey there IT people Very Happy

I've recently had some issues regarding to performance of my system, most of wich i was able to fix with a format, a defrag and some parameter cleaning. however I have question about memory paramaters, I hope any of you can give me a hand with this :p here it is:

when left on idle ( the desktop open with no applications running, not even notable background like xfire, msn or whatnot ) my cpu's and network ( as seen in windows taskmanager ) showed little to no activity, sometimes a spike on the cpu of a few percent but nothing spectacular, but what worries me a little is the memory usage.
In this idle state memory consumption is approximatly 1.35 - 1.50gb! I checked around google a bit for what should be normal for my OS, and most say it should be around 500-800mb range or something.

also some other memory paramaters as of right now:

Fysical memory (MB)
Total: 3065
Cached: 2025
available:0

kernelmemory (MB)
total : 169
paged : 86
nonpaged: 83

it worries me a little that some of these numbers are quite low, like the fact there is 0 fysical memory available, or that it says I have a total of 3065mb memory even though the system tells me its 4gb? unfortunatly I don't have much knowledge of pc's so if someone could help me, would be much appreciated Smile

my machine is as following:

model - Acer Aspire 7738G
OS - Windows Vista Home Premium
GPU - Nvidia Geforce GT130M 2303MB
CPU - Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9000 ( 2.0GHZ, 1066 MHz FSB)
memory - 4GB DDR3

if there's any more info you'd need drop a post and i'll check it out Very Happy thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Trister
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Trister

PostSubject: Re: Laptop question ( presumably memory related )    Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Windows 32-bit, will always see 3.5GB even though you have 4GB. Windows uses that "missing" chunk for itself, that hog!

Either case the fact you are missing 500MB, caching 2GB, and none available is odd indeed.

My system shows of 4GB, Total: 3509, Cached: 1312, Avail:1374 and I have Outlook, Photoshop, and 6 IE windows open, plus things running in the background.

What is your memory configuration? 2 x 2gb, 1 x 4gb, 4 x 1gb.... Could be one stick or part of a stick is bad. How long have you had that memory?

Since you reformated it, I can't see it being a software issue. What happens when you run it in Safe Mode (power on, while constantly hitting the F8 key until menu shows, select safe mode).
Back to top Go down
sryan
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
sryan

PostSubject: Re: Laptop question ( presumably memory related )    Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 4:41 pm

yes its a 32 bit system indeed. perhaps I should consider upgrading to windows 7 64bit, if it can run it that is :p.

I am now running several light applications ( a download @ 1,5mb/s and a browser with 3 tabs open that don't use excesive flash or anything ) and data has changed lightly. overal memory consumption is more stable at 1,5 - 1,6 gb of usage. also the physical available memory is now often a number between 0 and 50, often 0 but it does do something at times )

also ive been doing more research and I found this:

"Vista fills available RAM with cached data that you may use, this is called SuperFetch. Even when you go up to 2GB of RAM the Free memory is likely to be really low"

Perhaps this is the reason why the data are so low, and the cached memory is actualy available or something, perhaps it can be turned off to allow for more performance or something.

also about available memory.. it's strange indeed. the sticker on the laptop swears it has 4.0gb DDR3 memory, but programs like System Requirements Lab tell me I have 3.0gb. perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it is only 32bit?

as far as I know its a single 4gb. might have to look it up in specifications but there's nothing saying its several devices.

Also on the fact that my idle memory usage is 1,35gb to 1,5gb is maybe explainable.. I checked source control and about 400mb is being consumed by anti-virus, and a lot of programs are running in the 10-80mb range.

so the remaining issues are the low available ( wich might be caused by superfetch )
and the missing 500mb
Back to top Go down
sryan
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
sryan

PostSubject: Re: Laptop question ( presumably memory related )    Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 5:23 pm

you know, i've done a check, and I think it's indeed superfetch, when I booted up I had a massive 1500mb of available memory, wich slowly gets drawn completly into cache. this probably explains the low memory situation. just the low total memory but that is not as important as being on the constant verge of a memory dump :p
Back to top Go down
thebronxbomber
Colonel
Colonel
thebronxbomber

PostSubject: Re: Laptop question ( presumably memory related )    Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Hmm, I think 32 bit in the binary system means the computer will only use 3GB of RAM no matter how much you have I think, not sure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.13thmeu.net
UnlitAssassin
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant
UnlitAssassin

PostSubject: Re: Laptop question ( presumably memory related )    Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 pm

vista does take a lot of memory for it's self that is why i changed to 7
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/akc_raven/andysrtwsite
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laptop question ( presumably memory related )    Laptop question ( presumably memory related )  Empty

Back to top Go down

Laptop question ( presumably memory related )

View previous topic View next topic Back to top