13th MEU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Share this page:
Latest topics
» Last Post wins V3
Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm by DayTex

» Nice how things?
Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm by bebris

» CLB 13th MEU
Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am by thebronxbomber

» Last Post Wins
Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am by mekline

» Who plans on getting bf4?
Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am by SuperShocky

» It has been a while hasen't it?
Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am by Dutch5n1p3r

» Hi all how are we doing
Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm by UnlitAssassin

» League of Legends
Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm by EMISS

» Announcement: Fighting 13th
Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm by Toryin

Servers
Sponsored Link
Unit Rosters

Share | 

Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mckrack
Corporal
Corporal
Mckrack

Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 Empty
PostSubject: Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2   Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 2:23 am

Hey guys
Anyone using a UPS.
I have a

i7 3777K
6 GB 1033 Ram
GTX 680
500 GB HDD 7200 RPM
1 X BRD
1 X DVD RW
1000 Watt PSU.

I just need to 5-10 min tops for a pc to shutdown. Could you suggest how much voltage UPS would be perfect match to buy. I just want it for monitor and cpu.
Thanks.

Last edited by Mckrack on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Trister
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Trister

PostSubject: Re: Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2   Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 1:33 pm

tldr: 750va.

We have similar specs. All I have plugged into the UPS side is my PC and monitor (24" wide) and the UPS runs at around half-load, so I could plug more at the cost of Runtime. It gets me about 10-15 minutes. The one I have also safely auto-shutdown the PC either x mintues on battery or x minutes before battery is dead. It's an APC, I've had 3 in around 15 years. Battery ends up not recharging after a few years, so I buy another battery, then when that dies, I buy another unit. Battery ends up being around half (maybe a bit more than half) than a newer unit. Not trying to sell off APC, but they also have this trade-in program that they give you a discount on a new unit based on the model you're trading in. And software that reads out your load, watts, how long to stay on battery, and an option to always silent the buzzer or at certain times... Like from 21:00-9:00

I can confirm the runtime once I get home but you'll be good with a 750. But if cost is an issue you might get away with something smaller like a 550va that may give you 2-5 minutes instead with a 75% load, and that would just be PC and monitor. I know, I had one, and is why I switched to 750.

There are a few calculators out there, just search for UPS Calculator. Most of them you have to know your output wattags and AMPs. But an easy one is, of course...

http://www.apc.com/template/size/apc/index.cfm
Back to top Go down
Mckrack
Corporal
Corporal
Mckrack

PostSubject: Re: Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2   Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 3:49 am

wow!

Thanks Trister for the info. I think I got the picture here.
You just saved plenty of my time man.

Trister, one more thing, do system crash or freeze happen regularly with Gtx 680.
I have been experiencing a lot when I play most of the games for like 30 min, on max on ultra settings.
Otherwise system can run for hours. On restarting, I get an option to start the windows normally and I do not get any other error like for windows and graphic card or blue screen kinda thing.
I just checked the overclook application on it.
What overclock settings do you normally set for BF3 on both high and ultra particuarly if I want to play for longer.
I do have a seperate fan for cpu and processor not for GPU yet. What do you recommend?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Trister
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Trister

PostSubject: Re: Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2   Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 12:44 pm

I've got the Evga 680 SuperClocked Signature and BF3 used to crash to desktop but, then new drivers came out. It's never crashed Windows though and I don't have it overclocked more than it already is. Shouldn't need another fan for the GPU unless your box isn't big enough or has the right airflow. If it's a set amount of time, it might be due to overheating.

Need to pin-point whether it's the game, windows, the card, or overheating.

- Check the event logs in Windows and look around the time just before it crashed.
- Also look at the BIOS logs. Maybe something in the logs will point out what's going on.
- Do you have a temperature reader? Even if it's one of those things you stick in the oven.
- Maybe try removing a panel off the case, which is how I have mine since it's a small case and only has 1 case fan (I need to get a better one).
- And of course make should you have the latest drivers.
- If you have it overclocked, try setting it back to factory.
- Turn down the settings in your games to see what happens.

Does it run fine when not gaming?
Back to top Go down
Mckrack
Corporal
Corporal
Mckrack

PostSubject: Re: Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2   Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 4:00 am

Hey Trister

I just played Metro 2033 for like more than an hour and pc works fine with general applications. I have left the panel for cpu open now and with fan besides it. Even the temp spikes with Metro to just below 60 C with fan speed and voltage set to high but it just does not crash. I have not tried any other SP game yet. But both BC2 and BF3 crash quite in a similar manner that is both crash after playing for a little while (5-10 min max) so I think overheating may not be the issue but not excluding it yet.
I have checked the forums and some people do suggest problem with the sound card or punk buster. I did not get anything fruitful in bios but I will look thoroughly into it and get back to you.
Back to top Go down
Deathdealer96
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
Deathdealer96

PostSubject: Re: Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2   Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 4:11 am

Hey Mckrack, what settings can you run Metro onwith that beast?

I used to have a bf3 crash problem, but mine turmed out to be overheating,. You could try telling your CPU to only use 2 cores for bf3 as a temporary fix, idk I'm clutching at straws here. I doubt yours would be overheating . There's a programme which will fully max your CPU and take temp readings, I can't remember the name. I'l ltry to find out and get back to you.
Back to top Go down
Mckrack
Corporal
Corporal
Mckrack

PostSubject: Re: Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2   Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 7:47 am

Metro settings

Direct x 11
MSA 16
1920 X 1080
AAA on
Almost everything on max.
Runs with no stutter at all and for more than an hour.
I tried dropping the details to low in BC 2 and BF 3, yet crashes after about 5 to 10 min. One more thing I have not yet attached speakers just using ordinary head phones though.
Let me know the app measures temp for CPU. I have find one yet.

Pathway to go:
1. Will try disabling the Realtek sound card. (I suspect is the main culprit for crash like mine that need hard reset).
2. Punk buster re-installation second.
3. Play MW3 online to check non-punk buster game.

Will keep you guys posted.
Thanks guys
Back to top Go down
Mckrack
Corporal
Corporal
Mckrack

PostSubject: Re: Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2   Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Heu bingo sound was the issue.
I can play for longer at the moment but can hear anything.
I will try to sort the problem. If you guys happen to know do let me know.
Thanks guys for the concern and sharing your expertise.
See you on the battlefield.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Trister
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Trister

PostSubject: Re: Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2   Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Ya there's been some issues with sound cards but that was when the game first came out. Do you have a blaster?
Back to top Go down
Mckrack
Corporal
Corporal
Mckrack

PostSubject: Re: Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2   Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Ya I had creative x fx. But I had to take it off since it did not fit in the slot besides the graphic card. But I think that is the sound card on the motherboard that is causing the problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2   Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ups to buy and pc freeze while playing bf3 n bc2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top