13th MEU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Share this page:
Latest topics
» Last Post wins V3
September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm by DayTex

» Nice how things?
September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm by bebris

» CLB 13th MEU
September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am by thebronxbomber

» Last Post Wins
September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am by mekline

» Who plans on getting bf4?
September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am by SuperShocky

» It has been a while hasen't it?
September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am by Dutch5n1p3r

» Hi all how are we doing
September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm by UnlitAssassin

» League of Legends
September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm by EMISS

» Announcement: Fighting 13th
September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm by Toryin

Servers
Sponsored Link
Unit Rosters

Share | 

September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Endrane
Major
Major
Endrane

September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary Empty
PostSubject: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 3:13 am

Strength, courage, valor, resilience: qualities of both civilians and heroes on the day September 11th, 2001, a defining moment for not only Americans and the United States of America as a whole, but the entire world itself. This is the story of a day that is embedded in history as a day of sorrow and the spark for the War on Terror.

Introduction and Planning Stages
--------------------

This attack wasn't just a random anger movement against America, but rather a planned attack to seek revenge, cause chaos, and an opportunity for al-Qaeda to gain support. You may ask, why did they attack, why did they use violence, and why did they target the World Trade Center (WTC)?

Secondary reasons were the American troops stationed in Saudi Arabia and embargoes on Iraq of financial and trade sectors. The main reason stood out uniquely, and that was the support of Israel. Quoted from Osama bin Laden's letter to America, he stated, "The creation and continuation of Israel is one of the greatest crimes, and you are the leaders of its criminals. And of course there is no need to explain and prove the degree of American support for Israel. The creation of Israel is a crime which must be erased. Each and every person whose hands have become polluted in the contribution towards this crime must pay its price, and pay for it heavily."

Around the end of 1998, the Central Intelligence Agency revealed to the president of the time, Bill Clinton, that there were hints of a planned attack by al-Qaeda that may include hijacking aircraft. Before the 2001 attack, there was an attack in 1993 targeting the same place; more specifically, the objective was a truck bombing at 1 WTC (North Tower), making it tip over and smash into 2 WTC (South Tower), causing both towers to collapse to kill thousands of civilians. Sound familiar?

The primary architect behind the attacks was Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who confessed to be fully responsible without a doubt. Osama was not the creator of this master plan, but rather a financial and leadership supporter. (Khalid was also the uncle of Ramzi Yousef, the lead bomber in the 1993 bombing)

Although there were a total of 19 militants involved in the hijackings, 3 of them were able to fly a commercial airliner with the lessons they took in southern Florida. The 3 met up in 2000 in the U.S.A, but the "muscle" for hijacking all met up in 2001. Before those years, these guys were sent all around until actually reaching The States.

The Attack
--------------------

It was a cool morning in New York City. Clear, blue sky with no clouds, the beautiful sun, and a slight breeze. Nobody besides the attackers would expect what was just about to happen, a moment that would change America forever. Five terrorist militants took control of Flight 11 of American Airlines, and, silently and abruptly, crashed it into 1 WTC. At first, everyone thought it was merely an accident by a pilot or an airplane malfunction. With the exception of a few worriers and watching bystanders, life continued on normally for most New Yorkers.

At the time, George W. Bush was in the classroom of a school. Soon, another five hijackers hijacked United Airlines Flight 175 and sliced it into 2 WTC. Andrew Card, a Secret Service Agent, walked into the room and whispered into Bush's ear "A second plane hit the second tower. America is under attack." It was said that he was mentally "out of the room", looking around at the cameras with a discontent feel in his face.

After 56 minutes of burning under pressure, 2 WTC collapsed fell at 9:59 am. From 106 minutes of being ablaze, 1 WTC also collapsed. As they were falling, New York City was buried in the thick grey and white dust and debris from the twin towers. News stations couldn't even tell if 2 WTC was left standing or not from the excessive amounts of dust engulfing where the tower used to stand. It was like what you would see in the movies: people running from some horrific cloud threatening death and causing fear for everyone. People coming out of the debris had nothing but whitish grey powder covering every part of their body. The continuous fire of 7 WTC after being hit by the falling material from the North Tower caused it to fall at 5:21 pm later that evening. Half an hour after the South Tower was attacked, American Airlines Flight 77 slammed into the Pentagon. Luckily, after the valiant passengers of United Airlines Flight 93 fought back at their five hijackers, the pilot became worried that the civilians would regain control of the plane, so rolled the plane and deliberately crashed it into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. There is much speculation about how this plane went down, as there was no physical wreckage near where it "crashed". Debris was found in a nearby lake, and people of the area claim they heard an explosion or two before the plane actually went down, and there being an aircraft near it. It isn't clear. Later, it was discovered that the airline was targeted to hit the US Capitol Building. 3 WTC, also known as the Marriott Hotel, went down with the towers.

The 4 planes that were taken over by al-Qaeda were headed to Los Angeles and San Francisco from places near or on the East Coast, primarily with the assumption that they would be a lot more fueled than shorter flights, providing for more firepower.

The following spoilers are images depicting the damage and/or diagrams of the attacked areas:

Diagrams of where the World Trade Center was hit:
Image of the impacted Pentagon:
Hole left by Flight 93 near Shanksville, Pennsylvania:

Reactions and Casualties
--------------------

Air fighters were immediately scrambled into the airspace after news that the first flight was hijacked, and more after both towers were hit and it was clear that it was an attack, not an unintentional accident. Besides those and assistance aircraft, all other planes were ordered to be grounded at nearby airports. Security Control of Air Traffic and Air Navigation Aids (SCATANA) was initiated at that point for the first time in history, along with ATC Zero being put into effect for 3 days, closing all United States airspace. All international flights were to be re-routed and landed, causing over 500 planes to account for to land safely. Kindly, Canada took in almost half of all those airliners and launched Operation Yellow Ribbon to help care for all the stranded passengers from those planes.

Investigations pointed out that the collapse of the buildings was due to the impact of the planes destroying the insulation on the metal, making it very resistant to fire and minimizing the chance of instability. It got so hot that floors started sagging from the lack of stability, putting even more pressure on the vulnerable and blazing hot metal structure, causing the building to suffer many breaks; too many to support all the weight. The structures are being rebuilt; 1 WTC will be the tallest structure in North America after completion in around 2014.

Following the attacks, the Homeland Security Act of 2002 created the Department of Homeland Security, making it the largest restructure of U.S. Government since the creation of the Department of Defense. It was responsible for preventing terrorism, and came with access with new policies helping the government to do that. Before those attacks, security was in the hands of the airport itself; now, the government is responsible for airport security. Until then, bags were not screened heavily and people were not checked for harmful abilities and devices. But, because of those attacks, we can't leave any opportunities for it to happen again. Many other countries are also strengthening their anti-terrorism policies and abilities after seeing what happened on September 11th, 2001.

From the destruction of the World Trade Center and other businesses and economic sections, the GDP of NYC was estimated to have dropped $27.3 billion. Resulting from the ATC Zero, the struggling airline industry suffered increased economical problems. Even more so, around 18,000 small businesses were either destroyed or displaced from the physical or economical aftermath. It was estimated that around 31.9 million square feet of office space in Lower Manhattan was damaged or destroyed.

Most importantly, the ones we really need to thank are the real heroes: the firefighters, police, paramedics, and all other assistance personnel. Just imagine them, running to the scene while civilians are running away, dashing up stairs as others are trying to get down, breaking down doors to save people stuck in corners. Putting their lives on the line to maybe, just maybe, save another. The Fire Department of New York dispatched a whole half of their department to the towers, over 200 units. Of those 200 units, 341 firefighters and 2 paramedics were taken of their lives, wholeheartedly in their quest: to give others who believed they had no hope another chance. The Port Authority lost 37 officers, and New York Police Department lost 23 officers. Also, eight EMTs from private medical services were lost.

The reason for the unbalanced deaths was due to communication issues; the three departments did not have efficient communications to each other and their own due to incompatibilities of radio communications and malfunctioning equipment. NYPD launched its aviation unit, and were ordered to evacuate the building after conditions deteriorated. Fortunately, most officers were able to get out of the building to safety in time. Resulting from those mentioned radio incompatibilities, FDNY did not receive any warnings. After the first tower, 2 WTC, collapsed, FDNY was ordered to exit the building. Due to radio repeater malfunctions, commanders were not able to receive the orders. Later, when 1 WTC collapsed, lives of those great, vigilant, and brave heroes and heroines were taken, but not in vain. Without those rescue forces, those trapped and injured civilians that were saved that day may not have lived to see another day, ever again.

On that day, according to Wikipedia, 2,606 people died in the World Trade Center, 92 on American Airlines Flight 11 (Hit 1 WTC), 65 on United Airlines Flight 175 (Hit 2 WTC), 125 in the Pentagon, 64 on American Airlines Flight 77 (Hit the Pentagon), and 44 on United Airlines Flight 93, totaling up to 2,977 confirmed casualties on that single day (excluding the hijackers). In the days afterwards, there was an estimate from 6,000 to 10,000 total deaths from the event. Over 3,000 innocent children lost at least one parent in those horrific incidents.

After all the innocent death, all the unnecessary violence arising from al-Qaeda, the U.S. along with UN and NATO forces launched a War on Terrorism to bring the responsible to justice and stop the fear and sorrow coming from terrorism.

Many people, mostly rescue personnel, came from all around the U.S. to help with the cleanup of the ruins of the World Trade Center, also known as Ground Zero.

Remains of the twin towers:
Stranded travelers being kindly provided for in Canada:

Memorials
--------------------
World Trade Center Memorial:
Pentagon Memorial:
Flight 93 National Memorial:

The Only American Off the Planet
--------------------
ISS Astronaut Remembers 9/11 YouTube video:
Image of smoke plume from the International Space Station of Commander Frank Culbertson:
Close-up of the smoke from the WTC:
Original NASA Webpage of the "Only American Off the Planet" during the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Memories of 13th MEU Members

GhostOps21: I was in third grade, and it took some time for us to hear about it in Colorado, I just remember my parents watching the news at home, so sometime after school, and their shock at the fact that the towers actually fell, I don't know it was really strange and surreal for them and me. Some of the day is just kind of blank in my memory. But the next day was the real strange day for school, everyone was quiet and we didn't do much.

Spino Prime: To be quite honest, I was pretty young when it happened. I was at school, having a normal day, the only thing odd I remember was that my mom was sad for some reason. It is hard to comprehend these events when you are 8 or 9 and have not witnessed an event of such magnitude and tragedy

Note: Please don't take it personally if I didn't ask you for your opinion; it mattered on availability on Xfire and the shortage of stories due to my lack of time left over. Sorry about that.

Remember.
--------------------

Remember. As you go about your daily life today, just remember. All those men, women, children, all innocent victims of the violent and inhumane decisions made by the so-called "masterminds" of al-Qaeda out of anger, discontent, and what they saw as revenge for the "acts against humanity" by the United States and other countries. Remember them. Keep in mind the relevance of this day in history only 10 years ago, but like what seems to be much less time than that. This day didn't only affect the United States. It affected the whole world. It opened the eyes of everyone even wider to the prevalent threat of terrorism and unfair death. Many countries revised current and created new policies regarding anti-terrorism and security for the well-being and safety of everyone. Thousands of families were physically affected by the death of relatives, parents left childless, children left as orphans, and spouses left widows. Even more were emotionally affected at the thought of those perils, and those innocent deaths of the day of September 11th as how they never should have happened. Remember it. All the people losing the love of their life, the most important person or people to ever happen to them. Anger of a completely remote group to those people just should not be the reason for them to lose that. Never. Just remember, either way, lost or living, every single person who went into those buildings to save those that weren't able to get out, all the people who ditched their chance of leaving the structures to have the slightest chance of saving another life besides theirs, all the soldiers defending freedom and ending fear and sorrow caused by terrorist groups, and everyone who was not even given that another chance for life is, and forever will remain a hero to be engraved in the history of the United States of America.

I would like to ask other 13th MEU members and people of the community to reply with their story/experience on that day, if you remember it. Please refrain from posting on topics about how there are conspiracies on the government hiding the truth and whatnot, and also watch what you post. This is a delicate topic and more things can be taken offensively than with other topics. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Jax_Knife
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Jax_Knife

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 4:02 am

What happened that day was a tragedy on a magnitude that none of us have experienced before. A tragedy whose effects can still be seen today. Not only America, but the entire world was changed on September 11. But just like any tragedy, it can either draw us together or further apart. I would like to believe in the former. I live far away from the U.S, but even so, many people from Puerto Rico died there. In this sad day it at least gives me joy that you are keeping their memory alive. So thank you for that. May they rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
Trister
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Trister

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 4:31 am

Just a normal day of waking up. I was 25 and it was around 9 or 10am and I can't remember if someone called me, the TV was already on, or I just turned it on. I believe I was called because I vaguely remember asking watch channel and response was, it doesn't matter, any channel. Every channel was showing the same thing and at this point the first tower was spewing smoke. The realism of all this didn't sink in as it seemed as if it were a movie, so surreal and unimaginable.

Just sitting there listening, watching, in shock, disbelief, asking who is doing this, who could do something like this, all those people. I couldn't even tell you if I was standing or sitting. It suddenly became more real when watching the 2nd plane hit. I must of been stunned as I can't remember ever taking my eyes off the screen or even making any calls to my friends or family. The imagery of everything that was happening was just a constant battle and questioning of realism.

I don't remember much of what I did the rest of the day or days thereafter but I do remember the world seemed different. The amount of saddness, disbelief, and hatred that people had around me was so heavy and thick, it could have been shovelled. You could actually feel it as if it radiated off them.

Gratitude to those that helped, condolence to friends and family, Rest In Peace to those that died. Remembrance.

Last edited by Trister on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
RJ_Whitlock_9mm
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
RJ_Whitlock_9mm

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 4:38 am

It was a tragedy, but the way everything went down is not what I think really happened. I believe in conspiracies.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rjwhitlock89
totalwarrior6780
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
totalwarrior6780

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 5:25 am

What happened was a tradegy and People still die today from The aftermath Wheather it be The current War on Terror or The toxic Gases produced from the collapsing towers this tradegy will never be forgotten

I was 5 when this happened and my school closed as soon as the first plane hit I don't remember much all I can remember is my family watching The Live News on it while I was probably with them or just playing with my Toy cars

I don't believe it was a conspiracy as No government would do such a thing and besides all the Conspirators evidence has flaws

:/

My thoughts to the victims and families of The 9/11 attack
Back to top Go down
vanhoucke
Captain
Captain
vanhoucke

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 8:26 am

I was at boarding school, high school when this happened. There was a minor chaos starting, since even Belgian politicians announced the start of WW lll.
All activities on the school were canceled and the aula major, biggest room there is (with cinema screen) was open all night to stay up to date with the events.
Even as a non American, it affected our lives allot. And it still does.

Rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
Widghet
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Widghet

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 10:33 am

I am 19 and in the USMC that day. I was at work, doing my rounds when the call come on the radio asking for anyone who had family that worked in or near the WTC. Lots of responces of "whats going on?" but no responce. About 20 mins later, there was a mass recall and everyone was orderd to stop everything and listen. A call of "attention attention: This is not a drill. We are at war." stoped everyone in their tracks. First instinct is to think, this is a joke, someone is gonna get in major trouble for this. Then the order for everyone to come topside for formation. We were told it was no joke, a plane had been crashed into the WTC. I remember eating lunch and watching the TV when building 4 fell. It was as if this was a bad dream. It didn't seam real. Everyone seamed to be just going through the motions of their lives. As soon as I was able to get off work, I called my parents and made sure everything was ok. I will never forget that day. Ohh Rah and Semper Fi to everyone. Thanx for this thread.
Back to top Go down
Mega Max546
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
Mega Max546

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 10:58 am

I am sorry for all americans. As a I am 15 now I do feel a sad of what happened but at the time I was 5 at the time so I dont realy remember what happened although I was in toronto so I know it was a big deal around my neighborhood at the time. But everything is fuzzy if i think about it or its just completly blank.

RIP to all the dead.
Back to top Go down
FlamingBear
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
FlamingBear

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 11:06 am

Well I was only 3 at the time so I dont remember much but mom told me i was watching cartoons then i changed the channel and then we all saw the second plane hit.

But today im playing at a band performance today to remember the ones who died
Back to top Go down
paisaman
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
paisaman

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:15 pm

i was six, i remember that day clearly.

i was a first grade and when i went home, i turned the TV to watch Sponge Bob and all TV Channels were showing the Images of WTC, then the Colombian President was naming the name of the Colombians that Possible Were In the WTC complex or were Missing In New York.

it was the first time i saw such Terrible Images on TV, the Planes hitting the Towers , the Colapse of the North and South tower, it really marked me, even im not American.
Back to top Go down
Cmdr. Michael
Corporal
Corporal
Cmdr. Michael

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Very well made post Endrane.
I remember the day when it happened, very clearly in fact. Although I was young, and I couldn't exactly understand, I did know that a lot of people had lost ones, and a lot of people were crying over it. My heart goes out to the people who lost loved ones in the 9/11 incidents. They will not be forgotten.
Back to top Go down
http://13thmeu.forum.net
supersceptile
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
supersceptile

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 4:32 pm

I remembered that day, even though I was 4 and starting my second year in kindergarten. It seemed like a normal day, but when I came home, my parents unusually let me start playing my Game Boy right as we entered the door. After 15 minutes of playing, I went into the room with the TV, and saw the news. I hid behind a wall so that my parents wouldn't see me. However, I don't remember what was going on in the news, but it was definately about the terrorist attacks. The next day at school, we didn't seem to do anything, and it was a lot quieter than normal.
Back to top Go down
Toryin
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Toryin

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 10:23 pm

I remember i was 17 and playing soldier of fortune 2 with my Friends at the House, when my Grandma Called concerned about my Stepfahter whom ,we droped off at the airport 5 hours before, he was gonna fly to DC where he's From , grandma told me to turn on the TV when i saw what was going on, i managed to calm my Grandma Down and it turned out they had to land my stepdad in Netherlands where he was staying at the Hotel untill all humans were allowed to Fly again after this Tragedy.
My Thoughts go out to all the victims and their Loved Ones who got left behind.
I would like to show you their story of how they Struggle after these horrible Attacks on our Freedom that is still going on.

Back to top Go down
FlamingBear
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
FlamingBear

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 11:46 pm

Im back from the performance our city got a piece of steel from the North tower
Back to top Go down
JuniorGando
Corporal
Corporal
JuniorGando

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 3:09 am

A very sad day in history, one that always would have to be remembered to remind us of all the possible dangers, even the unexpected like this one...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary   September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary Empty

Back to top Go down

September 11, 2001 Attacks - 10th Anniversary

View previous topic View next topic Back to top