13th MEU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Share this page:
Latest topics
» Last Post wins V3
Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm by DayTex

» Nice how things?
Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm by bebris

» CLB 13th MEU
Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am by thebronxbomber

» Last Post Wins
Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am by mekline

» Who plans on getting bf4?
Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am by SuperShocky

» It has been a while hasen't it?
Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am by Dutch5n1p3r

» Hi all how are we doing
Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm by UnlitAssassin

» League of Legends
Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm by EMISS

» Announcement: Fighting 13th
Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm by Toryin

Servers
Sponsored Link
Unit Rosters

Share | 

Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SuperShocky
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
SuperShocky

Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder Empty
PostSubject: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 9:54 am

Teen Brags Of Murder Over World Of Warcraft

This past March in British Columbia, two teenage boys — 16 and 18 — raped and killed 18-year-old Kimberly Proctor before mutilating and burning her body under a bridge. When it was over, the 16-year-old told a friend on World of Warcraft what they'd done.

The reason the teen picked WoW was because it was apparently something he could not say over MSN chat. The teen confessed to the murder and even send newspaper links covering the crime. Not showing any remorse, he added that committing the brutal murder did not feel like he thought it would.

The attack was pre-planned through online chats and text messaging, with both teens devising code words and brainstorming on how they'd carry out the murder. Proctor was picked because she was, according to one of the teens, "an easy target". The Vancouver Sun has a detailed timeline of the events that transpired.

Pundits are looking for explanations, and video games are an easy way to explain the horrific crime. "You don't know which aggressive kid is going to take the fantasies of video games and try them out in reality," Bonnie Leadbeater, a psychology professor at the University of Victoria, tells CTV News. "You just can't predict those very rare occurrences."

The Ottawa Citizen's reporting opens with this sentence, "One of the teens who raped and killed 18-year-old Kimberly Proctor was a self-described 'nihilistic atheist' whose father was a convicted criminal, while the other was an avid gamer who lived with his parents." Imagine that, a teenager who was an avid gamer and who lived with his parents? That sounds incredibly normal.

What these teenagers did, however, wasn't. There are deeper, more troubling issues here at work than playing video games. One of the teens said he had dreamed of killing someone since he was young.

The two teenage boys are in a B.C. courtroom, where they are on trail for the crime. If they are sentenced as adults, they could get life. If they are sentenced as minors, they would get ten years in prison.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This really gets me mad. Blaming games when they have NO proof that it was games that caused them to murder.

1. They picked WoW to chat to each other instead of MSN, common sense, WoW is revolved around killing, if they chose to do it on MSN it would be suspicious whereas in WoW you may be planning a quest or something.

Yet they still relate it to games being the main reason of the murder.

2. Again, blaming video games for the murder.

3. (The one in Italics AND Bolded) This part sickens me the most, one of them may have a criminal as a father but NO The other one is a gamer that lives with his parents! LOCK HIM UP FOR THAT! I'm 15 and am a gamer, am i also a murdering idiot?

4. Video games have deeper issues? And him having dreams of killing someone at a young age is somehow related to playing a video game? Pathetic.

Yes i agree this was gruesome and they should be locked up for many years to come, but what gets me mad is it points to video games as the main perpetrator.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by SuperShocky on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
totalwarrior6780
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
totalwarrior6780

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 9:56 am

pathetic if u ask me how can a game make someon do thatthats the worst exuse to blame a game ever

Back to top Go down
Austynn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Austynn

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:01 am

*facepalm* Don't feel too bad movies and comic's were blamed for crimes like this when they first appeared on the entertainment scene.
Back to top Go down
Souljah E
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Souljah E

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:12 am

I heard they killed her because they thought they could eat her for a mana refresh but she turned out to only be a quest item.
Back to top Go down
SuperShocky
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
SuperShocky

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:15 am

Souljah E wrote:
I heard they killed her because they thought they could eat her for a mana refresh but she turned out to only be a quest item.

*Stops eating her brain*

Wait, so she doesn't give you mana?

The sad thing i find about this is that the media will probably come here and use it as FACT Wink
I can read the headlines "Girl Raped and Murdered for Mana Refresh" Neutral
Back to top Go down
Souljah E
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Souljah E

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:30 am

SuperShocky wrote:
Souljah E wrote:

*Stops eating her brain*

Wait, so she doesn't give you mana?

The sad thing i find about this is that the media will probably come here and use it as FACT Wink
I can read the headlines "Girl Raped and Murdered for Mana Refresh" Neutral

Hahaha it wouldn't be the first time I've caused no end of trouble in the media. They'll get bored in a couple of days and we'll end up with the headline : 'Wayne Rooney's geriatric hooker says 'I told boys to eat her brains in memory of Jade Goody'
Back to top Go down
Souljah E
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Souljah E

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:33 am

Or the Sun : "Lazy Canadian Parents pissed on their own Daughters still smouldering corpse." (Explaination of why the Sun newspaper are such reviled scum here : http://dontbuythesun.co.uk/site/)
Back to top Go down
paisaman
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
paisaman

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:55 am

lol, my dad says that games like GTA create little Terrorits lol!
Back to top Go down
147gamer
Private
Private
147gamer

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 10:57 am

Wow,gaming gets blamed for massacres and rapes.Thats a new one.Ohhh wait,its not.You can expect Jack Thompsons speech about how games are ruining the society any time now...
Back to top Go down
Antonio
Discharged
Antonio

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 1:55 pm

Not again...
Back to top Go down
SpaminSambi
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Nah, you just found a particularly biased source, is all. It's pure journalism; each source always bears an opinion.

For example, the Escapist Magazine story called out the previous source (CTV News).

A quote from The Escapist:

"Inevitably, at least one news outlet decided to trot out the tired old "videogames made them do it" bugaboo. "Teens moved from online violence to real-life murder," the CTV British Columbia headline blares...

"For the record, the murder had nothing to do with World of Warcraft itself or any other online interaction. The closest thing to a justification for the murder was that Proctor had flirted with but ultimately rejected the advances of both boys, although the 16-year-old said in a statement that the real reason for the murder was simply that the victim was "an easy target," and that he had "dreamed about killing someone ever since he was young." Aside from the fact that both boys enjoyed World of Warcraft, which is probably one of the most normal things about them, there's absolutely no gaming connection at all, yet it still somehow rises to the surface as a causative factor."
Back to top Go down
UnlitAssassin
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant
UnlitAssassin

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 5:27 pm

It has always been like that since GTA came out first
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/akc_raven/andysrtwsite
Souljah E
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Souljah E

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 5:47 pm

«13th» Raven1 wrote:
It has always been like that since GTA came out first

I can't get that guy from Nintendo's quote out of my head whenever people talk about Video Games :

Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder 6h6bre8
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder   Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder Empty

Back to top Go down

Gaming Blamed for Rape and Murder

View previous topic View next topic Back to top