13th MEU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Share this page:
Latest topics
» Last Post wins V3
Might join National Guard.  EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm by DayTex

» Nice how things?
Might join National Guard.  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm by bebris

» CLB 13th MEU
Might join National Guard.  EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am by thebronxbomber

» Last Post Wins
Might join National Guard.  EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am by mekline

» Who plans on getting bf4?
Might join National Guard.  EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am by SuperShocky

» It has been a while hasen't it?
Might join National Guard.  EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am by Dutch5n1p3r

» Hi all how are we doing
Might join National Guard.  EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm by UnlitAssassin

» League of Legends
Might join National Guard.  EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm by EMISS

» Announcement: Fighting 13th
Might join National Guard.  EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm by Toryin

Servers
Sponsored Link
Unit Rosters

Share | 

Might join National Guard.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
victuals
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
victuals

Might join National Guard.  Empty
PostSubject: Might join National Guard.    Might join National Guard.  EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 8:10 pm

Yep, might join the National Guard.

Give me pros/cons people!
Back to top Go down
CrazyBagaDonits
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
CrazyBagaDonits

PostSubject: Re: Might join National Guard.    Might join National Guard.  EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 8:44 pm

I thought about doing so since I've already got my degree. I was going to be in the Dental Corps for the National Guard because they pay for your education! But you're signed on with them for an additional X amount of years after you graduate (forgot how many, I recall ~6 years, but don't quote me).

Think if it this way. When you're done with your education, they still OWN you (as if you're their property) for X years.

Benefits were cool though, I would have been promoted to 2nd LT. right off the bat by the time I would've graduated from dental school.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Might join National Guard.    Might join National Guard.  EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 8:47 pm

There are going to be different pros/cons to each individual. The basic principles of the National Guard is you go to drill at a specific unit 1 weekend a month and then every year you have 2 weeks of annual training where you will train somewhere consecutively. You still get your GI Bill but you don't get free health insurance. You only have to pay $40 a month at the current rate for insurance.

Your best bet is to ask specific questions you have and I will answer them to the best of my ability.
Back to top Go down
victuals
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
victuals

PostSubject: Re: Might join National Guard.    Might join National Guard.  EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 8:56 pm

How much would I make? As in paychecks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Might join National Guard.    Might join National Guard.  EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 9:02 pm

Depends on Rank, the type of drill and years of service. Some drill weekends are MUTA 4 which means it's just Saturday and Sunday some are MUTA 5 which is Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. As an E4 on a MUTA 4 with 7 years of service I typically make around 300ish before taxes and sgli. You can't live off the National Guard checks. During the 2 week AT you will receive the active duty equivalent pay. Which means if a regular active duty soldier makes 1800 a month, during AT you would typically make 900.
Back to top Go down
victuals
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
victuals

PostSubject: Re: Might join National Guard.    Might join National Guard.  EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 1:46 am

Cool, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Souljah E
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Souljah E

PostSubject: Re: Might join National Guard.    Might join National Guard.  EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 2:54 pm

Just out of interest, and I don't mean to hijack your thread it's semi-relevant. In the UK we have the Territorial Army and they are called the Volunteer Reserve. TA Soldiers can be attatched to regular units on deployment if they wish or can in rare circumstances be called up to fight without asking. How does that work for the National Guard ?
Back to top Go down
CrazyBagaDonits
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
CrazyBagaDonits

PostSubject: Re: Might join National Guard.    Might join National Guard.  EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 3:02 pm

I don't know too much about our NG, but I think it functions also like the National Reserves for if a draft is implemented, however, like you said, in rare instances.

The National Guard Website wrote:
The National Guard is a military branch—America’s oldest—that serves both state and federal governments. The major difference between the Guard and other branches is that while Guard units are combat-trained and can be deployed overseas (depending on your unit and your job), Guard Soldiers are just as likely to serve in their home communities—just one weekend per month, and one two-week period each year.

I can't join the national guard anyways, even if I was a professional. For my height and age, their calculator says I'm extremely overweight, but my body fat % just got checked last week and I'm 8% below their maximum allowance.

http://www.nationalguard.com/life/what-is-the-guard
Back to top Go down
paisaman
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
paisaman

PostSubject: Re: Might join National Guard.    Might join National Guard.  EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 3:12 pm

well im not american, but ill just have to loss 2 Kilos to be Aviable, well i live so far USA , so i dont think ill join the NG, but im thinking to join the Colombian Army in a year or two, just after finish my school
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Might join National Guard.    Might join National Guard.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Might join National Guard.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top