13th MEU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Share this page:
Latest topics
» Last Post wins V3
Help! I need to make a website! EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm by DayTex

» Nice how things?
Help! I need to make a website! EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm by bebris

» CLB 13th MEU
Help! I need to make a website! EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am by thebronxbomber

» Last Post Wins
Help! I need to make a website! EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am by mekline

» Who plans on getting bf4?
Help! I need to make a website! EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am by SuperShocky

» It has been a while hasen't it?
Help! I need to make a website! EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am by Dutch5n1p3r

» Hi all how are we doing
Help! I need to make a website! EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm by UnlitAssassin

» League of Legends
Help! I need to make a website! EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm by EMISS

» Announcement: Fighting 13th
Help! I need to make a website! EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm by Toryin

Servers
Sponsored Link
Unit Rosters

Share | 

Help! I need to make a website!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CrazyBagaDonits
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
CrazyBagaDonits

Help! I need to make a website! Empty
PostSubject: Help! I need to make a website!   Help! I need to make a website! EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 5:46 am

Hey all! I need the steps as to how to build a website for my dad's business. I'm going to be learning CSS and XHTML as well as Java for the nitty gritty stuff on the site. But as for domain name and webhosting, do you guys know of any that is reasonable?

Also, what is FTP? Is it necessary for the website?

Thanks in advance everyone!

-SupAhShyGuy (CrazyBagaDonits)
Back to top Go down
Souljah E
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Souljah E

PostSubject: Re: Help! I need to make a website!   Help! I need to make a website! EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 6:08 am

supahshyguy wrote:
Hey all! I need the steps as to how to build a website for my dad's business. I'm going to be learning CSS and XHTML as well as Java for the nitty gritty stuff on the site. But as for domain name and webhosting, do you guys know of any that is reasonable?

Also, what is FTP? Is it necessary for the website?

Thanks in advance everyone!

-SupAhShyGuy (CrazyBagaDonits)

FTP is File Transfer Protocol. It's a mechanism for transferring files to and from servers. You will either use that or an SSH/SFTP (Secure Shell, Secure File Transfer Protocol) link up.

If you've never built a website, a good place to start instead of coding everything from scratch is to customise a Content Management System such as Wordpress. Wordpress provides all the low level stuff that takes weeks to code such as post handling, file system stuff etc.

The best way to learn any web technology IMHO is start off with the W3 Schools tutorials and also use the Sitepoint material. I would however reccomend that you ignore XHTML and move straight to HTML4/5 as XHTML is a bit of a backwater at the moment as the future standard has been dropped. To learn CSS, HTML, Javascript should take about six months of practice. To learn Java on it's own takes about three years.

A cautionary note : Java is not Javascript. Although there is a similarity of name, the two technologies are radically different.

As for hosting, you'll need to describe your Dad's business a bit.
Back to top Go down
CrazyBagaDonits
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
CrazyBagaDonits

PostSubject: Re: Help! I need to make a website!   Help! I need to make a website! EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Souljah E wrote:

Dental practice. I just need to make basic pages that provide information as a marketing tool. On the website, there should be essential information regarding business information like telephone number, address, directions and whatnot.

Thanks for the heads up on the Java. I've got a firm grasp on HTML, but I'll check out WordPress.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help! I need to make a website!   Help! I need to make a website! EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 1:54 pm

HostMySite.com is one we recommend for business account.

BTW... I highly recommend establishing an arrangement with a local website designer/builder. Sure you can learn the basics necessary to get started. However, learning the advanced programming to really use the website to build business for the practice might be another matter. I have yet to see a business start out on a shoe string budget to save money, not go back and invest in a professional's assistance in either updating or starting over.

You should consider getting RFPs from at least 3 website vendors in order to get the best price.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
CrazyBagaDonits
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
CrazyBagaDonits

PostSubject: Re: Help! I need to make a website!   Help! I need to make a website! EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Well, I'm a noobie when it comes to this stuff. On my Mac Book Pro, I'm just using iWeb and when I'm done making edits to the look and feel of the business (which is just an informative marketing tool, not an intricate E-commerce site) I'll be uploading it to my MobileMe which is a basic 15 GB of HD storage online.

What do you guys think? Is this viable?

And shoe string is all I got to work with. Apparently, my parents want me to turn water to wine next.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help! I need to make a website!   Help! I need to make a website! EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 2:06 pm

supahshyguy wrote:
And shoe string is all I got to work with. Apparently, my parents want me to turn water to wine next.

Hey, I understand. Most business would love having the same miracle. Sometimes you just have to walk away, although it's hard to walk away from your parents and a potentially bad decision to not invest in a proper project.
Back to top Go down
Souljah E
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Souljah E

PostSubject: Re: Help! I need to make a website!   Help! I need to make a website! EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 2:07 pm

supahshyguy wrote:
Souljah E wrote:

Dental practice. I just need to make basic pages that provide information as a marketing tool. On the website, there should be essential information regarding business information like telephone number, address, directions and whatnot.

Thanks for the heads up on the Java. I've got a firm grasp on HTML, but I'll check out WordPress.

Wordpress do a managed hosting option that requires very little input from you to be awesome. It's $15 per year to use your own domain and there are a few other features you might want to turn on. As your skill grows you can manipulate the default templates to make your own then start coding from scratch, it's a very relaxed learnng curve that offers immediate results. Any job I do under £200 ($300) is usually done with a supercustom install of Wordpress, that way I keep the cost down for the client but still retain good security. If you host with Wordpress.com you take away the problem of having to do your own server admin but lose access to some advanced features. You can start with their free package and then add the goodies later Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help! I need to make a website!   Help! I need to make a website! EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 10:25 am

👍 for Souljah. I would agree with pretty much everything he said. Just adding my two cents Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help! I need to make a website!   Help! I need to make a website! Empty

Back to top Go down

Help! I need to make a website!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top