13th MEU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Share this page:
Latest topics
» Last Post wins V3
Star wars the old republic.  EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm by DayTex

» Nice how things?
Star wars the old republic.  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm by bebris

» CLB 13th MEU
Star wars the old republic.  EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am by thebronxbomber

» Last Post Wins
Star wars the old republic.  EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am by mekline

» Who plans on getting bf4?
Star wars the old republic.  EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am by SuperShocky

» It has been a while hasen't it?
Star wars the old republic.  EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am by Dutch5n1p3r

» Hi all how are we doing
Star wars the old republic.  EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm by UnlitAssassin

» League of Legends
Star wars the old republic.  EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm by EMISS

» Announcement: Fighting 13th
Star wars the old republic.  EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm by Toryin

Servers
Sponsored Link
Unit Rosters

Share | 

Star wars the old republic.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jensin
Corporal
Corporal

Star wars the old republic.  Empty
PostSubject: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 12:24 am

Well it could be or not could be that somebody who could have or not could have made this post may or may not have made it into the closed beta. Now after this person has or hasn't played this game for 3-4 hours here as their thoughts.

1. This is a WoW clone. Gameplay is exactly the same so far.

2. The cutscenes are often unsmooth. IT does add a little bit of replay value, but every quest and every step has a cutscene and that can often get very tedious. abotu 1-1 hr and 30 mins of the my gameplay was watching cutscenes with crappy animations and they sometimes didnt matter

3. Cutscenes only purpose in terms of game (and not replay value) is light and dark points. The only purpose these present (from talkign with others) was they change the way ure clothes look, however not the stats, so one isn't better than other

4. Theres only 4 races for each class, and its not even the cool races. Human, the one where they have long tentacles for hair, A cyborg(for smugglar and trooper only, prbly their sith counter parts too), and another race where they wear blindfolds and look like humans(For the jedi/inqui and their counter parts), last theres the darth maul race. I was really hoping for more.

5. There is still grinding. Pretty much every one of my 30-40 quest i seemed to have done were kill this or activate this, just like WoW.

So if you want to see how this game will be, go play the WoW trial and imagine everything with star wars textures/skins. Thats basically what it is.
Back to top Go down
Delta.51
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 5:26 am

I saw this on the forum (www.swtor.com), although I have to admit than from feedback out of the community the actual testers are like 1 to 100 which says clone.

So I dont get your point of posting this here. The only way to find out is to pre order and try it yourself.
Back to top Go down
Skarbrand
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Skarbrand

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 7:54 am

I don't believe this. The only +1 to words above is point number 2. SOmetimes you might just want to press Esc and go on cuttin'n'chopping, rather than listening epic SH*T.

Else, it ISN'T wow clone! I'd say totally different. It is more close you, if you ask, Warhammer Online. There's just 4 classes, ALL vital (everyone could live without druid or shammy in WoW, eg). Graphics are MUCH better. Not to mention the setting.

If you don't like it - go create your own game. Asking MMORPG to be different is like asking Battlefield 4 made about watering plants 1st view with water-holder as a primary weapon or delivering pizza on APC. Games of same genres are ALWAYS alike, especially the MMORPGs! Aye, you can add some new feature, or change setting so that game seems to be totally different, but the basics are the same - quests, lvling system, maps, character classes, proportion of races/classes and all that stuff. You can't make MMORPG that will be as big as actual Star Wars galaxy, there's simply TOO MUCH background to put it into first game.
Back to top Go down
Toryin
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Toryin

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 9:40 am

hmmm That sucks
was looking forward to this..oh well
Back to top Go down
Jensin
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 12:58 pm

yeah, in terms of gameplay at the inital stages this game is exactly like WoW . I played WoW for 4 years and this feels just like it so far. The only difference is the graphics are better (Which i dont really care about) and i watch cutscenes for quest.

I really wouldn't recommend preordering the game to just test and try it out, if you've never played a MMO before go try the trial at WoW to get a basic feel for the gameplay in this game. Im not saying it will be bad, im just saying its basically WoW when it comes down to the gameplay aspect, and mmorpgs can be different. Look at GW2, they're doing some really different stuff.

Just to make my point, look at these videos. I do realize that they added some scripted events to spice things up in SWtor(which i think later dungeons in WoW now have) but look at the gameplay, how you fight fights, etc. Looks very similar. The same mostly standing still casting spells, so in terms of gameplay id say this is a WoW clone. So if you like WoW, you'll most likely like this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AsxdFhMHMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npch03hSZN4

Back to top Go down
Skarbrand
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Skarbrand

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 8:29 am

Man, this IS NOT a WoW clone. Does WoW has a cover function (like smuggler covering)?
Is anyone able to deflect some part of long range attacks?
Is there just one magical power in WoW (wow has got shadow, nature, etc)?
WoW has just 4 classes?
Your items view changes with your character's affiliation?
And I'm not mentioning the setting - WoW is only known to PC players and guys who play it are usually laughed at by other games since it's a kid's game - unlike Star Wars, which are known even by 40-50 years old all over the civilized world!

Man, don't compare those. I can see you're a fan of WoW and the fact that new game is better than it doesn't mean it's WoW's kid. Just face the fact that SWTOR is going to be better.
And yes, nothing's worth preordering, just wait patienly Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Widghet
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Widghet

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 1:28 pm

My thoughts on this are...this. I have bee following this game for almost a year now, and really got into it recently cause I have been iching to play an MMO again. I put 6 years into wow and have played alot of other games. Before WOW, the games were generally the same, but no one called wow an EQ clone. But it is. What about city of heros? Isn't wow a clone of that? The point it, you can do the same with anything, isn't any FPS a clone of doom, or duke nukem? Isn't any tennis game a clone of pong? Just wanted to get that out of my system.

Anyway, the game looks great, while the game play might be simular to WOW, it has many different features. This game allows everyone to have a companion. Wow, only hunters and warlocks get that. TOR has spaceships and space combat inbetween the "zones" or in this case planets. The point I am getting at is though they are both apples, your compareing red and green apples. They are both MMO's but they are different in many ways. Wow's main selling point was the lore and they did amazing with that. However, they have run out and it is obvious. Also they destroyed the game tried to make everyone happy for one reason or another. I wish that if a game would just reward people for time and effort and stop trying to please everyone. Dungeons are fine the way they are, unless you want to modify the loot system so that stuff for druids wont drop unless there is a druid in the party. Something like that so that hopefully, someone can use an item that drops instead of having the 1 class you dont have be the one that has all the drops. The rest of the game, unless you have a better idea as to what to do for quests and activities, then the quest system is fine. It is basic and works.

Just my thoughts on the game and MMO's in general. feel free to comment.
Back to top Go down
Haelyn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Haelyn

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Kinda got the mmo itch myself, but nothing on the horizon looks all that great. I really liked what the single player KotoR game offered. Question is....who all from here is going to give it a try?

I was also wondering...how are they handling the rifles? Anyone remember Hellgate London? I liked how it had sword and magic, but also had the spec ops guys with sniper rifles. Was as close to mixing fantasy hack n slash with a fps i ever played.

I would assume that it played like ranged weapons in Wow since everyone is using that as comparison. I get what Widghet is saying thou...DAoC, AC, and EQ were all mainstream before WoW was in beta. Before EQ you had muds, which had no graphics, but in alot ways were alot more fun. I used to run a smaug code base myself for a few months....good times. Remember when EQ was in alpha it had a click to move interface like diablo...anyways, just wondering who's all going to give this game a try. If enuff wanna give it a whirl I will get it too, but otherwise, I'd prob just sink my time/cash into diablo 3, starcraft xpacs, or reactivate an old rift/warhammer/wow account.

This is on top of BF 3 of course =P
Back to top Go down
Jax_Knife
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Jax_Knife

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 3:35 pm

MAYBE ill get it. but I have to get a better laptop first
Back to top Go down
Skarbrand
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Skarbrand

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Widhet, Haelyn - you guys have certain +1
That is what I tried to explain!
Back to top Go down
Widghet
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Widghet

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 5:14 pm

I have it preordered. I also started talking with a guild in the guild forums. I decided I want to RP so I am in a RP guild. They are really good guys and good at RP. Im new to the star wars universe, as I have only seen the movies, but they are helping me and all. If you all want, for those that want to RP, feel free to put in an app to Knights of Sokan. Great guild. Just saying LOL.

P.S. Muds were the SH&T
Back to top Go down
Mega Max546
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
Mega Max546

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Ummm.. why dont we make a guild??
Back to top Go down
Deezius
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Deezius

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 7:51 pm

This game rocks, I am not gonna get into some stupid debate over clone games and such. This is a great game, and I am highly sure it will be better then WoW. That is my word, if there was a poll I would vote yes to get it. I am hoping to get my new comp here real soon and then gonna order it. I am down to RP if needed, I love getting into the storyline. but I will keep people posted on my situation with this game, so if I do get in we can play together Smile
Back to top Go down
Widghet
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Widghet

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 8:56 pm

I am willing to play different characters on different servers and such. But I really like this RP guild so those wanting to RP, atleast as a jedi cause it is a jedi only guild. KNights of Sokan. Anyway, I agree iron, looks and sounds great.
Back to top Go down
Skarbrand
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Skarbrand

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 1:55 am

People, let's first have a count of how much of us are here and second, if there is much of us we can make a guild.
Personally I'm going to play for the Empire since I don't really like anything in RP except for troopers. Jedi s*ck, along with smugs xD
But I think it is farely possible (if it's allowed in-game to have chars on different sides) to make a trooper character for each of us so we can also play all together. Why Trooper? He's the closest resemblance of the Marines our clan is based on =D
So what's your opinon?
Back to top Go down
Skarbrand
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Skarbrand

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Guys, I'm serious! There's enough of us for guild! I'll make a poll and get this thing organized.
Back to top Go down
Haelyn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Haelyn

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 1:04 pm

Believe I will give the guild widghet referred too, since I will most likely only be playing it very casual.

The wife already told me that we ARE getting it, so...

I plan to still play most of my free time in bf3, unless something really bad happens to it or something really good happens elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Toryin
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Toryin

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 2:03 pm

I think i will play this
Big fan of SWKOTOR 1 n 2
NEED GAME STORY,WANT INPUT, REAL LIFE BORING ,WANT STARWARS UNIVERSE...know every planet, every species, Plot...Must continue ....Mega GEEK..have no life alien clown
Did you know That Wookey and EWOOK Genes are compatible
They can Mate , just not a pretty sight
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Widghet
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Widghet

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Ok. I am for setting up with the clan for maybe the empire side or on a pvp server or something, but for RP, I really like KoS so I will stay with them. Let me know if any of you sign up for them. I go by Milo Goodfellow in the guild there.
Back to top Go down
Mega Max546
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
Mega Max546

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyWed Aug 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Toryin wrote:
I think i will play this
Big fan of SWKOTOR 1 n 2
NEED GAME STORY,WANT INPUT, REAL LIFE BORING ,WANT STARWARS UNIVERSE...know every planet, every species, Plot...Must continue ....Mega GEEK..have no life alien clown
Did you know That Wookey and EWOOK Genes are compatible
They can Mate , just not a pretty sight
Spoiler:

I am a Mega geek for Star wars but I havent played Sowter before. I dont even know the game!?!?! I know its a MMO but I need more explination!!!!!

Also serously about the Wooky and Eowk thing? Where did you find it? Or did you just google it?
Back to top Go down
Skarbrand
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Skarbrand

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 1:44 am

Nah it's just that they are bears as well xD
Humans can mate with gorillas, it's the same =D
Back to top Go down
Widghet
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Widghet

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 11:31 am

Mega, you can look up info about the game. If you have played SW:Knights of the old republic 1 and 2, they are single player games that are based on simular concept of this game. It looks very good and has alot of focus on story like single player games do. You can just google star wars: the old republic.
Back to top Go down
Toryin
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Toryin

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 1:49 pm

Skarbrand wrote:
Nah it's just that they are bears as well xD
Humans can mate with gorillas, it's the same =D
LOL you got me there.. Good comparison
what about rancors and huts are they compatible?
Back to top Go down
Insevin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 4:26 pm

I much prefer KotOR and KotOR II The Sith Lords. I have them on Xbox. And I have the now impossible-to-get-for-Xbox DLC for the first KotOR. Its too bad I don't have the PC versions so I could use mods and download patches (mods are typically OK on single player games btw).

I'm actually replaying KotOR right now! I named my female character Miranda Lawson. Cookie if you get the reference. Fun, fun, fun. Which seat can I taaaaake? (More cookies if you get that reference too, lol!)

Bad thing is... KotOR's sequel The Sith Lords can be pretty aggravating on Xbox because you can't really get any mods or patches... EA's fault for pushing that game out WAY too fast. Wasn't finished. Real choppy with the bugs and glitches.

At least with Mass Effect 3 (from the makers of KotOR) they're taking plenty of time. It releases June 2012. I can't wait.

Well... anyways more on-topic, I don't really find MMOs appealing so I'll leave that to you guys. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star wars the old republic.    Star wars the old republic.  Empty

Back to top Go down

Star wars the old republic.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top