13th MEU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Share this page:
Latest topics
» Last Post wins V3
computer issues EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm by DayTex

» Nice how things?
computer issues EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm by bebris

» CLB 13th MEU
computer issues EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am by thebronxbomber

» Last Post Wins
computer issues EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am by mekline

» Who plans on getting bf4?
computer issues EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am by SuperShocky

» It has been a while hasen't it?
computer issues EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am by Dutch5n1p3r

» Hi all how are we doing
computer issues EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm by UnlitAssassin

» League of Legends
computer issues EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm by EMISS

» Announcement: Fighting 13th
computer issues EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm by Toryin

Servers
Sponsored Link
Unit Rosters

Share | 

computer issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mav2283
Corporal
Corporal
Mav2283

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: computer issues   computer issues EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Hello everyone. So yesterday my computer was running fine, but today it doesn't want to work for more then a few minutes. I thought that maybe it was a graphic card issue, but I removed the graphics card, installed the onboard graphics, and it's still having the same issue. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is right now, and I have no idea how long it is going to take to figure out why this is occuring, or what I can do to fix it.

If anyone has any thoughts on what the issue may be, can you please let me know through Facebook? That will notify me of a new message or anything faster then me checking on here considering I'm on my phone posting this right now.

Thx, Mav
Back to top Go down
thebronxbomber
Colonel
Colonel
thebronxbomber

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Well graphics cards aren't even "necessary" for a computer to run, really only for you to see what the computer is running. Is there anything else you can describe about the problem?
Back to top Go down
http://www.13thmeu.net
Mav2283
Corporal
Corporal
Mav2283

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm going to see if I can take a video as to what's going on so everyone can see
Back to top Go down
Mav2283
Corporal
Corporal
Mav2283

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 5:47 pm

Back to top Go down
Mav2283
Corporal
Corporal
Mav2283

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 5:48 pm

You'll have to excuse my double and now triple posting ... I do not have an edit post button on my phone. Video of my computer issue is in the post above
Back to top Go down
Endrane
Major
Major
Endrane

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 1:36 am

I remember that you just got new RAM, and many people have this issue when trying to install new RAM. Try a power cycle. It removes most of the remaining energy from your computer and it's kind of like a hard reset, hardware-wise.

Put both your RAM modules in their motherboard sockets.
Unplug your computer's power cord from the wall outlet and keep your power supply's switch to ON.
Hold the Power button on the computer for 1 minute or more.
Plug the computer's power cord back into the wall outlet.
Turn your computer on.

If that doesn't work, maybe try doing the power cycle without your RAM in place and put it back before turning your computer back on for the final step of the process. Or maybe also try putting your power supply's switch to OFF during the process. Try these steps IF the normal procedure doesn't work.
Back to top Go down
Mav2283
Corporal
Corporal
Mav2283

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 10:04 am

Endrane,

The weird thing about the new parts is that the PC was working completely fine for a day and a half, then sunday morning when I woke up and switched to my HDMI input on my TV there was nothing there at all. I had no functionality with my keyboard, mouse, and was unable to hold down the power button on the front of the case to shut it down. I had to manually shut it down from the switch on the PSU itself, turn the switch back on, and then hit the power switch on the front of the case. At various points I was able to shut it back off quickly using the power switch on the front, but after a certain amount of time the PC would so the same thing and then I would lose functionality again as stated above.

I was surfing through the BIOS settings last night and had noticed that my VCORE Voltage would periodically jump into the red at times. My first thought on this was the CPU may be bad, or the PSU isn't large enough to provide the voltage capacity needed to run the entire machine.

Going with my second thought, I decided to bring my computer to work with me this morning and do some searching. I have used the ASUSTeK Support website for Power Supply Wattage Calculator. After entering all the information about my computer on the calculator, it recommended I use a 450W-500W PSU for everything I have. Right now I am only using a 430W PSU. I figured with such a minimal difference in wattage, I may be able to cut a few things out in order to use the computer withe the current power supply. I am going to be running some testing on it at some point today to see if I can get it running in stable condition before I go out and buy a new PSU.
Back to top Go down
GoatReconFS
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class
GoatReconFS

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 10:21 am

While you can "get away" with having a weaker PSU, it can do substantial harm to your PC's hardware. I'd recommend buying a newer stronger PSU.

On the other hand you can throttle your CPU (if I remember correctly, this could just be a feature on laptops) to use less power. This will decrease performance but it will be easier on your PSU. My knowledge on how to do with PSU issues is limited at best but I hope this helped.
Back to top Go down
Mav2283
Corporal
Corporal
Mav2283

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 am

GoatReconFS wrote:
While you can "get away" with having a weaker PSU, it can do substantial harm to your PC's hardware. I'd recommend buying a newer stronger PSU.

On the other hand you can throttle your CPU (if I remember correctly, this could just be a feature on laptops) to use less power. This will decrease performance but it will be easier on your PSU. My knowledge on how to do with PSU issues is limited at best but I hope this helped.

Thank you for your input. I will try to see if my computer will boot up long enough for me to get into the BIOS settings and see if I can shut off a couple cores. I just got 3 new pieces of hardware for the machine and installed them on Friday afternoon. So the PC was running for 1 1/2 days without any issues occurring, then sunday morning came and it wouldn't work at all. I have the same Corsair CX430 PSU from the old build, which if I input that hardware into the ASUSTeK calculator the PSU would have been almost the bare minimum to run it. So I'm thinking the current PSU isn't efficient enough to run all the components that I just purchase to upgrade my machine from a 4-core to a 6-core CPU, going from 4G to 8G of RAM, and also a better MoBo as well. I'd really like to get this machine running again ASAP, but my time is being limited as to everything going on today. I'm currently at work, and the boss already showed up so I won't be able to work on my machine all that much, I have to be home right after work for Rent-A-Center to come pick up the bed I had gotten from them, and I have to be at the local firehouse at 7pm. So as you can see, today limits me time wise from purchasing a new PSU to test out. I may have just enough time to run to BestBuy between RAC and the firehouse. I am also limited on what I can spend as well, so I may have to just get something from Newegg eventually...

EDIT:
So today I was messing with my computer at work and received a new message that I did not see at all yesterday, which definitely sheds some light on my situation. Below is part of the message, and exactly what I believe is wrong with my unit which will possibly be fixed by tonight.

Quote :
Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit.

That right there tells me my power supply isn't efficient enough to run my machine with the new upgrades. I will be going to BestBuy later tonight after work to purchase a new 800W PSU which is MORE then enough to run the machine with the upgrades. So, once I purchase that and install it, we will see if it really was the PSU. If not, I will have a new PSU to use for the upgrades anyway, lol.
Back to top Go down
Mav2283
Corporal
Corporal
Mav2283

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 11:36 pm

So, I am just getting home at 10:30 with a brand spankin new corsair gs800 800w power supply hooked up instead of the corsair cx430... just turned my machine on and waiting to see what happens next..
Back to top Go down
CaptEdster
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
CaptEdster

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 pm

Fingers crossed*
Back to top Go down
Mav2283
Corporal
Corporal
Mav2283

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 11:57 pm

Well, bad news... a brand spankin new PSU did not help resolve the current issue at hand. My co-worker is supposed to be bringing me back my old mobo, cpu, and ram tomorrow, so I will be bringing my computer to work with me tomorrow to work on. The boss is going to be away from tomorrow till friday, so I am hoping I can just get the old parts put back in for now to see how the computer functions. I am at the point where I really do not know what the issue is and I am going to see about contacting either Newegg or ASUSTeK tomorrow and get some input on the situation.

I will definitely keep you all posted on the outcome. I really hope I can get it fixed ASAP because not having a decent computer to do things on is killing me...
Back to top Go down
Deathdealer96
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
Deathdealer96

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 5:52 am

It's not just PSU power. You should also not buy the cheaper PSUs
Back to top Go down
Endrane
Major
Major
Endrane

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 3:33 pm

Have you tried resetting your BIOS

And the gs800 seems like a decent PSU, it is 80 PLUS Certified and has a single +12V rail for plenty of power.
Back to top Go down
Mav2283
Corporal
Corporal
Mav2283

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Deathdealer96 wrote:
It's not just PSU power. You should also not buy the cheaper PSUs

Apparently you have no idea what you're talking about because Corsair is not a cheaper PSU. Corsair is like a mid-grade manufacturer. If I went with a cheapo I could have bought a Dynex or something which is crap. Instead I purchased a Corsair GS800, which is an 800W gaming system PSU. I had a Corsair CS430, which is basically for everyday use computers.

Endrane wrote:
Have you tried resetting your BIOS

And the gs800 seems like a decent PSU, it is 80 PLUS Certified and has a single +12V rail for plenty of power.

Yes, the GS800 is a lot better then the CS430 I had in it. I also reset my CMOS quite a few times and it didn't work at all. Sometimes I could barely get into the BIOS and it would lock up, and sometimes I could get into windows, and it would lock up.

However, I seemed to have found out what the issue is after contacting ASUSTeK Support earlier today at work. Yes, I have it like that at work where I can pretty much do whatever I want sometimes Very Happy.

Anyway, I was told to remove my motherboard from the case and put it on a cardboard box (which seems all too familiar since that's how I had this computer hooked up in the first place with the old mobo before I got my case). So I did that, and was told not to hook anything up to it to see if it would POST. All I got were 2 lines of text asking me to select a boot device. Tried to restart and still the same thing. So I said screw it and hooked up my HDD. After I hooked up my HDD the computer started to boot up. Went into the BIOS to check those settings, all were fine. Saved, Exited, Booted into windows. Left the computer on and went outside to help my warehouse manager with a few things, came back inside and it was still on surprisingly. So, I shut it down normally, put everything back inside the case, this time making sure everything was connected perfectly and brought it home.

I am currently using it now to post this message as the apparent issue is/was a "grounding issue" with the motherboard and case. I made sure that each screw made good contact with the mobo this time in order to have that secure connection. So far everything seems fine. I am going to put in my GFX card and see how long it lasts without having a hiccup again incase it does.

So there you have it. Grounding issue.
Back to top Go down
Deathdealer96
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
Deathdealer96

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 7:50 pm

I was replying to Goat, not to you, and also in case other people who were reading this thinking they need a more powerful PSU. So no need for that tone really.
Back to top Go down
Endrane
Major
Major
Endrane

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 8:18 pm

You certainly did post in a manner that suggested that you thought Mav's new PSU was under-par, since it was after Mav posted about his new PSU and Mav's post was after Goat's post.

Using quotes would clear up that confusion, so they should be used if you're not posting right after the person you're responding to and your post could be misunderstood.
Back to top Go down
Deathdealer96
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
Deathdealer96

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Regardless, no need to use that tone in the reply.
Back to top Go down
Mav2283
Corporal
Corporal
Mav2283

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Regardless, if you are speaking to someone within the topic, quote their post and refer to them.
Back to top Go down
Deathdealer96
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
Deathdealer96

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Oh well some people just really can't help themselves
Back to top Go down
GoatReconFS
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class
GoatReconFS

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Glad to hear that the issue was resolved!
Back to top Go down
DeadlyChaos09
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyTue Jul 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Alright guys, just cool it. This thread is to help Mav get his P.C. fixed, not to argue about silly non-quoting statements.
Back to top Go down
Deathdealer96
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
Deathdealer96

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 5:41 am

I think we were both perfectly cool.
Back to top Go down
Mav2283
Corporal
Corporal
Mav2283

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 11:32 am

Well, the issue occured again last night after being online for a couple hours. It seems that my motherboard is grounding itself to my case, which it isn't supposed to do. I have gotten my old parts back so I am going to do some testing again tonight by putting the old parts back in with the new PSU installed. Windows won't activate at all, which means I'm running on a non-genuin copy of windows right now until it activates.

So tonight I am going to try and get windows activated. I am going to try and resolve this grounding issue for good by putting in little plastic or rubber washers inbetween the mounting screws and the motherboard itself on the top side. Then we will go from there to see if that will resolve both issues with windows activation and the grounding issue after I can get windows activated.
Back to top Go down
thebronxbomber
Colonel
Colonel
thebronxbomber

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues EmptyWed Jul 31, 2013 1:21 pm

You have standoffs between the motherboard and case right? It's not just screwed into the case?
Back to top Go down
http://www.13thmeu.net
Sponsored content

computer issues Empty
PostSubject: Re: computer issues   computer issues Empty

Back to top Go down

computer issues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top