13th MEU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Share this page:
Latest topics
» Last Post wins V3
Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm by DayTex

» Nice how things?
Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm by bebris

» CLB 13th MEU
Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am by thebronxbomber

» Last Post Wins
Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am by mekline

» Who plans on getting bf4?
Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am by SuperShocky

» It has been a while hasen't it?
Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am by Dutch5n1p3r

» Hi all how are we doing
Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm by UnlitAssassin

» League of Legends
Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm by EMISS

» Announcement: Fighting 13th
Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm by Toryin

Servers
Sponsored Link
Unit Rosters

Share | 

Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DeadlyChaos09
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? Empty
PostSubject: Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money?   Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Hey everyone.

I am a PC/Xbox 360 gamer. As a teen, gaming has always interested me. Various genres interest me such as Action/Adventure, Role-Playing, Strategy, Massively Multiplayer Online, Shooters, and Arcade games are the crown jewels I love in gaming. However, Shooters are the apple of my eye.

I have always been a Battlefield and Call of Duty Veteran. Since Battlefield 1942 and Call of Duty Classic, I owned every single game and every single DLC. However, as the years come, most of the games are not feeling as superior as there predecessors.

Lately, Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 have been reviewed as "Not the same feeling [Battlefield/Call of Duty] used to have."

Now, I have seen gameplay, and I from what I seen, Modern Warfare 3 looks good.
However, I have seen gameplay, and from that, I see Battlefield 3 can top Bad Company 2, and maybe Battlefield 2. However, a lot of complaints have been saying that Battlefield doesn't feel the same

The way I look at it is this:
If Battlefield still has the original gameplay aspects, yet suffers as if it was a BETA, I am completely fine with that. DiCE and EA have been doing a great job releasing DLC and patching the game because they listen to the community, so if BF3 suffers from some things, I wouldn't mind because I know DiCE is listening.

All I care about is... if it has the original, core gameplay aspects. For example; distinctive roles/kits, fast-paced, team-orientated game styles, vehicles that dominate, good communication etc.

If it does, let me know, and I might consider purchasing the game once I get a new Xbox. Who knows? Maybe soon, I might consider joining you guys to play a bit more competitively.

If not, explain why.
Gracias.
-DeadlyChaos09
Back to top Go down
jester860
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
jester860

PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money?   Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 7:23 pm

I consider the roles distinctive, they are all different have strengths and weaknesses. Having claymores and lmgs as compared to medic packs and assult rifles. And vehicles can dominate.
Back to top Go down
DeadlyChaos09
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money?   Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 pm

The thing is, does it feel like it's predecessors where teamwork is the only way to win?
Back to top Go down
Endrane
Major
Major
Endrane

PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money?   Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm

It doesn't have the same feel as Battlefield 2. They sized down the maps, possibly because the vast size of a large BF2-sized map would put an even larger strain on the server hardware than normally with the extremely advanced Frostbite 2 engine. I still do love it, and think it's the game of the year. I was expecting a game like BF2, with the same map sizes and squads and commander role and everything, but it looks a lot more like BC2 (at least the HUD and squad setups). It surely tops BC2 in all aspects, for sure. Graphics are like BC2, and the general feel of the weapons and planes are more like BF2. I guess you can't expect a game that feels like a true predecessor to the previous title because the technology is just so advanced and everyone expects the game to have the best of the best features, which is gonna change the gameplay a lot. And to your previous question: yes, teamwork is still one of the largest factors to defeat the other team. There's only 4 classes this time, instead of the previous number in BF2, but I think they're all very well-balanced and thought-out. It doesn't satisfy a hardcore Battlefield 2 gamer's taste in full because the maps aren't big enough and no bombs in jets and stuff, but it is still a phenomenal game and meets all of the aspects you mentioned in your main post.
Back to top Go down
DeadlyChaos09
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money?   Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. I been watching gameplay, and it looks like an overall, excellent game, but with all the complaints of how it doesn't feel like Battlefield, I had some doubt.

Also, when I do start playing, what do you kit/role do you recommend? It's been a while since I last played Bad Company 2, so I feel rusty since I have yet to seen the new mechanics in Battlefield 3. Anything I should keep in mind while playing?
Back to top Go down
sryan
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
sryan

PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money?   Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:55 pm

I think battlefield still has her core feeling, no matter how much complaining you hear in the community. You should however realise, that DICE doesn't release the same title every year, and as such has changed mechanics from previous games.

The kits are distinctive as ever. However they have been brought down to 4, from 7 in BF2. You'll see these classes:

Assault/Medic: These guys have acces to Assault rifles, weapons with a good rate of fire, that are generally good at all ranges, but shine at medium range. They can have a medkit ( the medic kinda guy ) or trade that in for an M320 grenade launcher ( can launch Smoke, high explosive, or 40MM shotgun rounds ) or an M27 Mass shotgun, wich they can either use handheld, or slab under their barrel ( the assault kinda guy ). They all carry their defibs though, so they're always useful to have in a squad.

Engineer: These guys have acces to Carbines, assault like weapons but usually with less velocity and thus range, so it's better to use these at shorter ranges. They got either a repair tool or AT mines, so they always have a use around vehicles. The distinctive bit about them though is that they are able to carry a launcher, they can chose 1 from 3 at any given time:
- 'Dumbfire' missile, your standard RPG/SMAW, follows a ballistic trajectory, effective against vehicles and infantry
- Javelin weapon system: locks on to enemy vehicles, once fired cannot be avoided unless smoke is deployed or another object blocks the shot. The enemy vehicle will detect the lock on though. external guidance ( SOFLAM, CITV ) increase range and damage, and allow locking onto air vehicles
- STINGER/IGLA dedicated anti aircraft weapon. locks onto enemy aircraft. High projectile speed but a full speed jet may out run it, countered by flares

- Support, These guys have acces to Light Machine guns, these weapons sport high suppresion with good damage and large clips into one weapon system. Similair to BF2 these guys hand you your ammo now, and bring claymores, c4 and mortar systems to the battlefield.

- Recon, these guys bring your sniper rifles to the battle, Comes in semi-automatic ( medium damage, good rate of fire ) and bolt-action ( high to very high damage, slow rate of fire ). They lost their C4 and mortar strikes from BFBC2, and are, once more, very vulnerable to vehicles. In return they receive the MAV ( UAV ), T-UGS and SOFLAM, all of wich are excellent detection or designation tools.

A player can also choose an all-class weapon over their kit weapon, all kit weapons include shotgun and PDW's ( essentially small SMG's )

One should also note the most extensive unlock system seen in a battlefield game. Each main weapon has at least 10 different unlocks. This allows a user to change how a certain weapon behaves. Par example, if a player where to slab a Heavy barrel and 4x scope on his rifle, then he would have a weapon system that should be good at taking down targets at range. On the other hand, if he where to attach a laser sight or suppressor with a 1x scope system, he would have a superior CQB weapon.

Vehicles no longer dominate so easily as in BF2, most notabily helicopters. The arrival of dedicated anti air weaponry on infantry, and more abundant AA vehicles finaly gives the foot soldiers a proper defense against them. In my opinion, this has led to more balance on the battlefield, a few players no longer dominate the whole team.

Your favorite Conquest and Rush team based objectives are still present. You still need as much teamwork as you did in the older games. There's also Team Deathmatch now, if you feel a bit more self centric, or just want to get some trigger time. It's pretty decent in my opinion: The spawns are bad, but the action is good. No one forces you to play it though.

The pace is good if not better, since sprint is now unlimited, people traverse distances on foot faster, allowing fire fights to occur faster and more often.

Back to top Go down
DeadlyChaos09
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money?   Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Seems like a lot has changed, yet I have confident in DiCE. Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money?   Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money? Empty

Back to top Go down

Battlefield 3: Game of the Year or Waste of Money?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top