13th MEU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NewsHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Share this page:
Latest topics
» Last Post wins V3
Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 4:00 pm by DayTex

» Nice how things?
Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 3:32 pm by bebris

» CLB 13th MEU
Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyTue Mar 10, 2015 9:28 am by thebronxbomber

» Last Post Wins
Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 6:24 am by mekline

» Who plans on getting bf4?
Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 am by SuperShocky

» It has been a while hasen't it?
Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:59 am by Dutch5n1p3r

» Hi all how are we doing
Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm by UnlitAssassin

» League of Legends
Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:07 pm by EMISS

» Announcement: Fighting 13th
Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 7:00 pm by Toryin

Servers
Sponsored Link
Unit Rosters

Share | 

Victory in Europ Day - VE Day

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
vanhoucke
Captain
Captain
vanhoucke

Victory in Europ Day - VE Day Empty
PostSubject: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptySun May 08, 2011 3:46 pm

On May 8th, 1945, Nazi Germany signed and ratified the act of surrender, ending World War II in Europe. Jubilant crowds lined the street to celebrate the first Victory in Europe Day — VE Day. While the war continued to rage on in the Pacific, the ending of hostilities between the Nazis and the Axis powers against the Allies was cause for celebration.

Every year since then, crowds have gathered to remember the brave men and women who fought — and who died — in the deadliest conflict the world had seen to date, or since.

World War II ended 4 months later, when the Japenese forces signed the act of surrender. This event took place on the battleship Missouri, September 2nd, 1945.

Victory in Europ Day - VE Day Ve-day

Ps: it's motherday too Very Happy

Last edited by vanhoucke on Mon May 09, 2011 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thebronxbomber
Colonel
Colonel
thebronxbomber

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:21 pm

A great day indeed, ending the biggest war in mankind's history.

I was going to post something for Mother's Day but came on too late Razz What a coincidence that they're on the same day Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.13thmeu.net
Grim.Reefer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Grim.Reefer

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:27 pm

is it true that Osama was killed on the same day as Adolf Hitler? I heard that somewher
Back to top Go down
thebronxbomber
Colonel
Colonel
thebronxbomber

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:30 pm

Yeah both May 1st I believe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.13thmeu.net
projekt3000
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
projekt3000

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Yeah, a very odd statistic to say the least. Strange how history repeats itself like that.

In reference to the OP, I'm a huge WWII buff. I've watched many documentaries as well as Hollywood productions (Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Saving Private Ryan, etc.) that has told some of the stories that happened during the war.

It was probably one of the greatest days in the history of the world. One can argue though if Germany wasn't regulated so harshly after WWI that this might not have happened, but that argument is best left for the classroom.

Thanks for posting this vanhoucke. Smile
Back to top Go down
modernwarfare132
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
modernwarfare132

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptySun May 08, 2011 10:59 pm

hitler killed himeself April 30, his body was found like May 3
Back to top Go down
totalwarrior6780
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
totalwarrior6780

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyMon May 09, 2011 3:37 am

Technically WW2 ended When Germany Surrendered , Thats when Britain and Europe recognise the end of the war

Wooo Russia :p (I'm part Russian) and russia practically one the war on their own
Back to top Go down
vanhoucke
Captain
Captain
vanhoucke

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyMon May 09, 2011 5:42 am

thebronxbomber wrote:
A great day indeed, ending the biggest war in mankind's history.

I was going to post something for Mother's Day but came on too late Razz What a coincidence that they're on the same day Razz
I made a small update to my post, added a line Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Deezius
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Deezius

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyMon May 09, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm part russian too, but in no way did russia win the war on their own lol
Back to top Go down
totalwarrior6780
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
totalwarrior6780

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyMon May 09, 2011 1:06 pm

They did most of it

They took out Germany without barely any help and just bombarded the germans
Back to top Go down
projekt3000
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
projekt3000

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyMon May 09, 2011 3:48 pm

Total, if you do recall the Germans had pushed the Russians all the way back to Stalingrad in 1942. Granted, that was earlier in the war but you can't possibly say that just one Allied force was largely responsible for defeating Germany.
Back to top Go down
totalwarrior6780
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
totalwarrior6780

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyMon May 09, 2011 3:56 pm

I do recall project however Russia did probably have one of the if not biggest role in the War they reppeled Germany and took the fight to Berlin and still had a lot of power intact

Therefore IMO Russia dealt Germany the biggest blow

This is My opinion
Back to top Go down
projekt3000
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
projekt3000

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyMon May 09, 2011 4:05 pm

I understand it's your opinion.

However, there is a reason they called it a "world" war. I highly doubt the war would have had the same outcome if the U.S., Canada, England, France, Italy, Australia, etc. didn't all contribute in their own ways.

Not saying the Russians didn't play a huge part in turning the tide, but you've got to remember that Germany was fighting a two-front war.
Back to top Go down
vanhoucke
Captain
Captain
vanhoucke

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyMon May 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Total, the Russians did mange to perform excellent from the battle of Stalingrad.
But they had to sacriface lots of troops and the bad weather (usual weather for the region) did manage to stop almost all German machinery.
They did receive lots of help (especially planes and tanks) from the US forces.
In my opinion, the coalition did succeed because they helped eachother.
If the Germans did not attack Russia, but finished of Brittain first, they would have had a pretty good chance in winning the war.. Well, 'win the war', there would always be lots of partizans and they would never have been able to keep control of the Reich. Only the annexated countries could be kept without problem..

Back to top Go down
totalwarrior6780
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
totalwarrior6780

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyMon May 09, 2011 4:16 pm

I know what you mean I guess we could come up with loads of different facts to support our opinions

I will leave it there so we don't get into a debate

RIP all soilders (Exept the Germans)

My grandad fought that war : )

Lance Copral Flowers Smile RIP
Back to top Go down
modernwarfare132
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
modernwarfare132

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyMon May 09, 2011 9:15 pm

totalwarrior6780 wrote:
dont say that. most didnt want to fight the war
Back to top Go down
weras4213
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
weras4213

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyTue May 10, 2011 11:49 am

modernwarfare132 wrote:
totalwarrior6780 wrote:

yes its not like all the germans were evil.
Back to top Go down
totalwarrior6780
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
totalwarrior6780

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyTue May 10, 2011 12:11 pm

I can say what I think

1.) I'm Jewish

2.) My ancestors had to flee Russia and Poland because of them and they ruined their lives

3.) Why should I Say RIP to the german soilders they Killed people innocent people died being forced to fight against the Germans

I will say what I want

Rip To the Allied Forces who died
Back to top Go down
Toryin
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Toryin

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyTue May 10, 2011 1:55 pm

yeah and rest in peace to all humans who ever died ,
especially those who died in war that was started by the elites who ALWAYS finance both sides of the coin (ww1,ww2,vietnam and on and on and on)
NOBODY hates freedom and no one wants tyranny. Soldiers always fight for freedom and their families and friends no matter what side you look at...They just have different interpretations , Nazi Germans , Americans, afghans ,Palestine or who ever... We tend to get brainwashed and believe agendas and then we die ..the rich never sacrifice their children and still do business with the so called enemies , especially after the wars are over
Back to top Go down
modernwarfare132
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
modernwarfare132

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyTue May 10, 2011 6:05 pm

AMEN! cheers
Back to top Go down
Lonelysgtpepper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
Lonelysgtpepper

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyTue May 10, 2011 6:21 pm

Rest in peace to everone who has died in a war, is it a civilian, german soldiers or allied forces
lests just hope we learn from the past and history doesnt repeat itself
special regards go to all the families who died or were left in destruction by Bombings and scorched earth, especially in current wars
Back to top Go down
Cmdr. Michael
Corporal
Corporal
Cmdr. Michael

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyTue May 10, 2011 6:43 pm

weras4213 wrote:
modernwarfare132 wrote:
totalwarrior6780 wrote:

The people who caused half of my family to die can burn in hell for that. I hope they never rest in peace. For all the Nazi followers & believers, they can die in hell for it too. But for those germans who didn't want to fight the war, & who didn't believe in the actions of the S.S. & The Nazi but died in war may rest in peace.

Note: Yes, Half of My Family (Now Dead From The Concetration Camps) was Jewish. The other half, Christian Catholic. One reason I'm atheist.
Back to top Go down
http://13thmeu.forum.net
weras4213
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
weras4213

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Cmdr. Michael wrote:
weras4213 wrote:
modernwarfare132 wrote:
totalwarrior6780 wrote:

The people who caused half of my family to die can burn in hell for that. I hope they never rest in peace. For all the Nazi followers & believers, they can die in hell for it too. But for those germans who didn't want to fight the war, & who didn't believe in the actions of the S.S. & The Nazi but died in war may rest in peace.

Note: Yes, Half of My Family (Now Dead From The Concetration Camps) was Jewish. The other half, Christian Catholic. One reason I'm atheist.

Wars started by religious beliefs and racial prejudice are the most pointless ones. I'm an atheist too.
Back to top Go down
Dylantredrea
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyWed May 11, 2011 11:20 am

I studied in Russia for a year and once I could speak the language well enough I swear to god, 1 out of 2 people I would meet, once they found out I was American would say: "Oh American, so YOU think YOU GUYS won world war II!"

They have a point though. Especially when you compare the national experience for Russians and Americans and the losses incurred. St. Petersburg was nearly starved to death- there weren't even any pigeons left on the street because everyone had eaten them. Russian lost 20,000,00 men. We lost a lot of people but we never were invaded or blockaded.

I think we should just be happy that the two tyrants happened to be trying to take over the world in the same place at the same time, so they could waste their energy on each other. Not to get too political/contemporary- but it kind of sucks that Iraq no longer has the land force, air force, and mechanized force advantage over Iran they had in 2003. Sadam was a bastard but we got rid of Iran's biggest foe.

PS: This doesn't change the fact that Patton will always be THE MAN and Soviet Russian under Stalin was just as bad if not worse than Nazi Germany- especially to our Jewish friends (pogrom is a Russian term).

(Sorry I'm bored at work and I love this stuff. All is said in fun and with much respect to conflicting opinions, I just thought it was funny how freaking EVERY OTHER Russian laughed at me the same way.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.creoludus.com
totalwarrior6780
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
totalwarrior6780

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day EmptyWed May 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Stalin was a good man IMO and statistixcly a servey was taken in Russia a while back and 60% of people wished the soviet union hadn't collapsed

I do think Stalin was a good man However I wish Hitler had been kept alive and tortured for his life as he was scum and should be left to rot

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Victory in Europ Day - VE Day   Victory in Europ Day - VE Day Empty

Back to top Go down

Victory in Europ Day - VE Day

View previous topic View next topic Back to top